Sunday, March 30, 2008

Shirt Scrap Quilt

I've been thinking of making a quilt from old shirts like Bonnie Hunter for awhile. And when I was driving past a local thrift store and seen the special for the day I had to stop and see what I could find. The deal of the day was 10 long sleeved shirts for a dollar. They had a over supply and were trying to clear some out. So I searched through the racks and found these. I got 19 shirts for the quilt and 1 wool sweater for some felted craft I want to try. I trimmed off the collars and cuffs cut off the buttons and had a nice pile of usable fabric. I searched for a pattern for at least a week and could not find what I had in mind. And then I came across this one.

Nice large pieces that will look nice in a straight set. I found it in my Dear Jane Book. EQ helped me make it a 12" block. I tried a sample block and really like it. I think I will try to alternate dark and light blocks. I cut pieces for a few blocks and I have plenty of fabric. I may have to make a 2nd quilt when I finish the first.

Here is a picture of the pieces in the block.