Thursday, May 22, 2008

Learning how to Tatt

It's a craft I've always admired, it's so dainty and fragile. I tried years ago with a shuttle, but couldn't get the hang of it. A couple of years ago when Lewiscraft closed down I bought an instruction book and some very long needles and had another go. I had a mental block following the instructions and didn't make any progress.

When I began CQ, it became necessary that I tried again because little tatted pieces just belong on crazy quilts! I spent an uninterrupted evening and just concentrated, unpicked, tried again, until I found a very simple way to wrap the thread and hold the needle. I've mastered the very basics only, and have a long way to go, but at least, after all these years of wanting to do it, I can now do it!

The little pieces shown are not "fine", I've used fairly heavy thread, but they are recognizable as a flower and a butterfly!

A friend from our Seniors Craft Club gave me a beautiful piece of her mother's tatting. That will be saved for something really special. That's a dime in the photo to give you an idea of the fineness.