Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Work Quilt #4: Hand Quilted Layer

This past week I resumed work on Work Quilt #4, and I must say it feels good to get back to this baby!


If you remember from my previous Work Quilts, I approach each step as a "layer"...

Layer #1 is always the piecing of the top, and from there the layers can differ in order, but their will always be at least one layer each of machine stitching, (which was the second layer in this piece), hand quilting, (which I am currently working on here and is thus the third layer) and appliqued patches, (which will be the fourth layer of this quilt).

For the hand quilting I am once again using some of those beautiful Sulky® Cotton Blendables that were so generously gifted to me by the folks at Sulky®. Love them!


The plan is to hand quilt two meandering lines, of stitching in each of the rows, (both horizontal and vertical) that were previously created by the machine stitching, (which was done in both straight and zig-zag).


As the colorful lines of hand quilting going from side to side intersect with those going from top to bottom, small squares of various shapes emerge, and I think I will be revisiting some of those little squares in maybe another layer of decorative stitch.

To be continued...
(hopefully soon!)