Thursday, November 5, 2009

My new favorite Number 2 quilt

That title may be a little convoluted, and the explanation probably won't clear things up much.

The plan for each of my grandchildren was to spend a bit more time on their first quilt, a few more details. Not necessarily an heirloom that they couldn't touch, because really, what would be the point of that? Quilts are meant to be loved....and touched. But just a little more time spent planning and making. Then their second quilt would be one to drag around, snuggle under, play on, wrap around and read a book, toss in the laundry.

Here is the back of Levi's second quilt. And it's really the reason I even made this quilt. Rows of wild animal Minkee. Have you ever felt this stuff? *sigh* If only you could feel it through the computer monitor. I think everyone should carry round a little scrap of this stuff to touch when you're feeling stressed out.

And I had no idea when I purchased the Minkee that Levi would turn out to be so tactile. He loves anything soft, so I'm hoping this will be a big hit with him.

So then I had to find an idea for the front, to go with the back. And for a Number 2 quilt, the front actually took a lot of time than I had anticipated. All those little pawprints....


You may be wondering: what does his Number 1 quilt look like? And that would be a really good question. Let's just say that it's all planned out, and involves a bit of Los Angeles Dodgers fabric and a label from a pair of old Levi's jeans, and a lot of detail (which will qualify it for a Number 1 quilt).
Is this making any sense yet? The back of the quilt was priority over the front, and the "second"quilt was made before the first.
Eventually you will see the Number 1 quilt, which I haven't even started yet.
See what I meant about "convoluted"?