Sunday, December 12, 2010

Are you living in a snowglobe today?

Judging from football games on TV today, the country is running the gamut weather-wise, from sunny San Diego to snow storms in Chicago. Here in central California, it is very grey and overcast, weather I happen to adore, although a lot of people find it rather dreary. If you're dreaming of a white Christmas, check out Terri's pictures. They look beautiful to me. But I'm not the one who has to get the snowblower out and clear a path...

Yesterday I was running errands, looking at all the beautiful things at Pottery Barn (and wondering how long it will take for the PB knocks-offs to arrive at Target....) when I kept seeing people with scarves wrapped around their necks, gloves on their hands, saying, "It's so cold out there." Uh, yeah, a chilly 60 degrees...

This is my vote for one of the cutest Christmas prints out there this year: Alexander Henry's 2D yuletide zoo.

I made pillowcases for Charlotte and Levi. I think the rest will go into some wonky Christmas log cabin blocks.

Then I customized pincushions for two friends, the one who started me on my quilting journey about fifteen years ago and the other for a blogging friend who has answered lots of photography questions, and once I really start playing with my new camera, hopefully she'll be willing to answer a lot more (do you think she'll notice I'm trying to butter her up??).
Dotty took me under her wing when I decided it was time to learn to quilt. I remember sitting at her kitchen table with a yellow notepad and watching her quickly sketch a double four-patch and giving me a rough estimate of how much yardage I would need to purchase. Four different prints. Looking back, I can't believe how much I agonized over picking four different fabrics. Now fabric choice is one of my favorite parts of quilting.

And Anne, I know the question about what color hair you have was a bit weird. But here's why. I really wanted to use this selvage...

Anyone out there have red hair? Named Anne?