Monday, February 22, 2010

Mail for Melissa

I just finished the second month of Block Swap. Melissa wanted a "scrap tree." Very cute idea. But...I know virtually nothing about fusibles (Steam a Seam, Lite Steam a Seam, Steam a Seam 2, Lite Steam a Seam 2--really? What's the difference? Which one do I use? So confusing...) and have never done free edge applique. Melissa solved the first part by including the fusible and plenty of really cute scraps. So I sketched my tree stump and leaves, fused them, stitched around all the edges,

and then added some cute little mushrooms and a snail from fabric by Michelle Engel Bencsko's "Shade Garden" collection.

And no matter how I turned this leaf, it just looked like a fish to me. Oh, well. We'll just call it charming and whimsical.

This was fun, Melissa. I've seen some of the other blocks so I know this will be a really fun quilt when you are done!