Monday, May 3, 2010

AMMC

Do you have a clue what I'm talking about?  It means Acronyms Make Me Crazy (or Confused--take your pick). Don't look for it in the acronym dictionary. I just made it up.

Okay, so this whole acronym thing will tie into the post topic. Eventually. I promise.

I keep having to go to the acronym dictionary. I guess I'm just behind the times or something. To me, DH means Designated Hitter (yes, because my husband and son are both sports fans). Apparently in quilting blogs it means Darling Husband.

SAHM. I always thought it meant Single Adult Heterosexual Male. Really? On a quilting blog? Oh, you mean Stay At Home Mom. Ooooh........

HST. Half square triangle. We have now arrived at our DT. Designated Topic.

Some quilters love half square triangles, and Rita, who makes phenomenal quilts, highly recommends them for their "therapeutic benefits."

Unlike Crystal, who not only dislikes piecing HSTs, she also dislikes making HSTs. And that's okay, because there are lots of other things she really likes making and her quilts are equally amazing.

I think I fall halfway between the Rita and Crystal. Making this many HSTs can have a tendency to make me really crabby tired, preventing me from calling them therapeutic. In fact, I have occasionally sought temporary solace with a glass of wine. Which in turn makes it really difficult to sew HSTs. So maybe there are other issues to be explored...

Anyway...when they were all done, I was in love with this quilt.

Over a year ago, at quilt camp in 2009, I started making this quilt. It was originally destined to be a baby quilt. Until I realized that each block took nearly a day to make. There are LOTS of HSTs in this quilt.  I decided that a baby quilt should be simpler, something the mommy wouldn't hesitate to throw in the wash. So I used the same fabric line, made it a little smaller in size and backed it in Minkee. Cute. And so much fun to make.


Jessie was at that quilt camp and threw in her bid as recipient of the HST quilt. Then she added her little happy dance. What else could I do? Her happy dance makes it impossible to say no to her. (Note to Luke: You ARE aware of this, right?)

I changed my mind at the last minute about the binding, and ended up using Pez from the Peas and Carrots line, and doing bias binding. Also not a fan of making bias binding. But in this case it had to be done. And it was worth it.

Saturday was Jessie's bridal shower. I think she is pretty happy with the quilt. It's nearly One in Every Color.

And that made me happy as well. So now all I can say is KISS. No, I mean that literally, Jessie and Luke. Just kiss.