Friday, April 29, 2011

It Works Upside Down

I am going back to work on Monday. I'm so sad because I love holidays. In a frenzy of, 'I must make more before I go back,' I started working on a quilt. I wanted it to be quick and I wanted to use up some of my old fabric and combine it with some beautiful stripy fabric I bought on sale.
In about four hours I had it all pieced together but it ended up being totally warped! (Excuse the concrete background). I know in photos the base always looks wider but this base really is wider, about 8 inches on each side. I have never made this style of quilt before so I am not sure if it was the stripy fabric, which is not standard cotton and a bit stretchy, or the style of the quilt that has made it sag in the middle.
I took a photo of it upside down and the shape is perfect - no distortion despite the angle.


My sons think it's awful. "Sorry Mum, but it's not one of my favourite ones."
It feels really soft and cuddly and I used up some really lovely linen fabric.
I am going through a phase of not trying to be so exact in my work and enjoying the liberty.