Friday, September 25, 2009

Seriously??

Mark and I are leaving this morning to be vendors at Quilting in the Garden. We had a lot of last-minute things to do: final jewelry assembly, pricing, packing, loading the trailer. So what was I doing yesterday afternoon? New product development. Seriously?? What was I thinking??

I have long been obsessed with fabric selvage edges. That has already been established, I think. Since we are going to be at a quilting show, wouldn't pincushions be a good idea? Wouldn't thinking about this a couple of months ago have been a better idea?

What have I learned from this?

1. It's kind of a messy process, but really fun.

2. I have a "piping" foot for my Elna...and I now know how to use it. This is my first prototype. No close-ups allowed, because you don't want to see the mistakes I made when learning how to use my piping foot.

3. I used crushed walnut shells to stuff the pincushions. Eco friendly, nice and weighty. But I need to find a bulk outlet. I only had four cups and then had to slit my prototype open and steal from it to stuff the other two.

4. Procrastination--not such a great idea. Two pincushions ready for sale. Two....for a two-day show. Planning ahead would have been a really good idea. Can you say "special order and free shipping"?