Friday, September 11, 2009

Shirt Quilt

Just showing off the back first.Shirt quilt is done. I started this quilt last winter. I thought I would give sewing with second hand fabric for a quilt a try. I had been collecting shirts and started in. Cutting up the shirts is a lot more work then I thought it would be. And the fabric from one shirt to the next is not very consistent with the others. The main problem I had was one would be a lot more stretchier then what I'm used to. I love the homey homespun look of the quilt but doubt I would collect more shirts for future quilts. That said I will have to make one more to use up what I have left. A red white and blue one to use up all the red shirts I collected.
For a pattern I used a Dear Jane block H-1 Peek-a-boo if you have the book.
To stay with the thrifty theme of the quilt I used a old blanket as the batting. Machine quilted it with my sewing machine. I quilted circles in the centers of the blocks the meandering between the circles.

































I used leftover pieces of shirts for the back and an orange shirt I cut up for the binding.