Wednesday, March 9, 2011

WIP Wednesday: H-E-L-P

I have several projects going on, all in different stages. But the priority is Levi's quilt.
His third birthday is just around the corner. It would be awesome to have this completed by the 27th but that may be a bit optimistic. So here are my questions (and for those of you who have already answered these questions by email and wonder why I'm asking them yet again, thanks for your invaluable input. I am clearly lacking any self-confidence whatsoever to just jump in and get started...):

1. This will be done using a walking foot. Because that is what the designer used. It will be all staright line quilting, 1/2 inch apart, following the colors. I'm anticipating a lot of twisting and turning, but I don't have a clue how to freemotion. So am I nuts to use the walking foot?
2. It will be quilted with khaki thread to avoid making countless thread changes. Would you use the same color in the bobbin? (The back of the quilt is the bright turquoise blue.)
3. What do you usually set your stitch length at?
4. What is your favorite way to start and stop in the middle of a block?
5. Basting: at first I was going to use safety pins but now I'm thinking of spray basting. Can you successfully spray baste a twin-size quilt top?
6. Anything else I should take into consideration?

7. Am I overthinking the whole process and making it seem harder than it really is?