Tuesday, July 5, 2011

WIP Wednesday: Supernova Starburst

I looked up the definition of supernova. There were several, but I liked the wording of this definition the best:
"the explosion of a star in which the star may reach a maximum intrinsic luminosity one billion times that of the sun."

I present to you Supernova Starburst:
I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this quilt. The explosion of colors, the hot saturation in each block, the subtle luminosity. 

Most of my batik fabrics had been given to friends as it seems the "modern" quilt movement doesn't generally embrace batiks. But when I looked at the colors of Lee's blog button and my stash of batiks, I knew they were made for each other.
 I paired all those gorgeous fabrics with some cooling Kona solid grey to really make the colors pop.
I think all these triangles that were trimmed off will somewhat appear on the back of the quilt. They are much too pretty to toss.

I also have this stack of scraps. It isn't enough to make a Supernova quilt, but I'll send them to the first person who wants to give them a good home.

So that's what I've been working on in the last week. Now go see what everyone else has been doing.