Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Spool Play

Welcome to Spring Bloggers Quilt Festival! I'm so happy you stopped by.

Spool Play was made as a challenge quilt for a quilt retreat I attend every year.

Everyone is given 1/2 yard of a specific fabric. Here is this year's fabric.
 
The idea for my quilt came from a combination of wanting to do a traditional spool block but in different sizes, and my absolute obsession with selvages edges, so I got out my graph paper and colored pencils.

While most of my selvages are stored in ziplock bags by category, this quilt required selvages to be sorted by color.
It was really fun seeing the quilt come together block by block.


When it came time for the quilting, I machine quilted in the ditch around brown part of each spool, and then outline quilted around each full spool using perle cotton.

In the border I used a fabulous variegated perle cotton, and even added a sewing needle in the bottom border.

Can you see the selvage edge pieced into the flowered border?

This was a fun and easy quilt to make. I hope you enjoyed seeing it. Enjoy the rest of the show!