Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday Musings

Just some random thoughts.

I was going through some of my fabric the other day and came across this fat 1/8 (the one on the left). I'm not sure I like it enough to put it in a quilt. However...I like it enough to use it as inspiration for a quilt. I'm picturing some solids or nearly solids against either Kona charcoal or raisin, with some big-stitch quilting, all kinda wonky. Thoughts?


Do you ever order fabric from freshsqueezed fabrics? Randi has superb customer service and she always includes a couple of 5" charm squares. I've done a variety of things with them: included them in a quilt, used them as backing for pincushions, or, like this one (the one on the right in the picture above), cut a chunk out for my charm hexagon quilt.  Then I pictured another quilt based on this little 5" piece of fabric as inspiration. I don't know that I would have thought to put these colors altogether, but I'm kind of liking them in this swatch. I hope they translate into 5" squares and still look good together on a larger scale.

Sandi Henderson has designed some of my favorite fabric (Henna Garden, how I love you...), and a couple of months ago I did a pattern test for Saffron Craig, using Meadowsweet fabric. Here is the skirt on my model. I ended up making some adjustments/changes, but I guess that is the whole purpose of pattern testing. My favorite part (aside from the adorable model) is the plaid band around the bottom of the hem.


And speaking of Saffron, she has a new line of fabric out. I just received 1/2 yard cuts (and yes that means I'm out of fabric money for the month...) and she included this pile of selvages. And you all know how happy that makes me, right?